Iam

Iam

Friday, June 26, 2015


Graal of Muritz

The poem: “Morgen!” was originally written by german raised John Henry Mackay and set to music by Richard Strauss in 1894 and adapt to english by John Berhoff in 1925, in this version using the beautiful sea side sunsets landscapes of Graal Muritz in northen Germany. 

"Morgen!" ("Tomorrow!") is the last in a set of four songs composed in 1894 by the German composer Richard Strass It is designated Opus 27, Number 4. The German love poem Morgen! which is the text of the song was written by Strauss's contemporary, John Henry Mackay of partly Scottish descent but brought up in Germany.

Video by Rui Martins
Music by Ricardo Santos & Rui Martins. 

Author´s website: motionlandscapes.wix.com/motionlandscape­s
Author´s Facebook: facebook.com/motionlandscapes
Author´s Travel Blog: motionlandscapes.blogspot.pt/

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Rostock Cityscapes



HISTORY
In the 14th century Rostock was a powerful seaport, the biggest city of the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern region in todays northern Germany. It has one of the oldest universities in the world dated from 1419.

The Ships cruising the Baltic Sea were constructed in Rostock.

Its early inhabitant where Polabian Slavs which named the settlement “Fork of a River” or “Ras-toku”, hence the name Rostock. The Danish king Valdemar set the tow aflame in 1161, only afterwards around 1200 the place was populated by german traders.

In 1265 the previously united New town and Middle Town, were joined with the Old
Town in one single community, and finally with the Warnemunde fishing village in 1323 to become the Rostock we know today.

In 1251 Rostock joined the Hanseatic League or “Hanse”, a powerful commercial and defensive confederation of merchant guilds along the coast of northern Europe consisting mainly of three cities: Lübeck (the capital), and Wismar.

This confederation provided a economic boom for the city that ended with the Thirty Years War in 1677.
Only in the 19th century Rostock re-emerged as an important harbour for the grain trade.

The town hall in the New Market Square is a 15th-century structure with a Baroque facade (1727). Parts of the city walls and gates dating from the 14th to the 16th century survive from the WWII bombings that destroyed most of the city.

The Steinor Gate inscription says “Within thy walls may reign harmony and happiness”.

Author´s website: http://motionlandscapes.wix.com/motionlandscapes
Author´s Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/motionlandscapes
Author´s Travel Blog: http://motionlandscapes.blogspot.pt/

Sunday, March 1, 2015

AZORES - São Miguel



Filmed by Rui Martins in São Miguel´s Island - Azores between August 25th and September the 2nd 2013.
Video and Music by Rui Martins.
Song: Nature´s Embrace.
Shot with Panasonic GH2, Olympus 9-18mm lens.

Author´s website: http://motionlandscapes.wix.com/motionlandscapes
Author´s Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/motionlandscapes
Author´s Travel Blog: http://motionlandscapes.blogspot.pt/

Thursday, February 19, 2015

BRN - The Colorful Republic



Shot in Dresden Neustadt during the BRN festival from 13 to 15 June 2014.
Music & Video by Rui Martins. Aerial footage with help of Patrick Ribeiro.

HISTORY OF THE BRN

In 1990 after the fall of the Berlin wall during the process of unification of Germany known as the “Wende”, the district of Neustadt in Dresden inhabited by a new generation that didn’t identify themselves with the political satus quo, joined to form a micro-nation with its own ideas. The Colorful Republic of Neustadt or Bunte Republic Neustadt was born.
A own currency, called Neustadtmark, that was based on the East German currency, was issued. A coat of arms of created that retained elements of the coat of arms of East Germany with the head of Mickey Mouse featuring in the centre. Celebrating the founding of the Bunte Republik, the professional government organised a street festival that was held 21–23 June 1991 in Dresden-Neustadt.”

“ For the period from June 22 to 24, 1990, exactly one week before the monetary union, a separate republic was proclaimed and celebrated in a big block party. The idea for the colorful Republic was one afternoon in the Bronxx (former pub on the Alaunstraße). An "ordinary provisional government" was formed. Guided by a "monarch without portfolio" and all possible and impossible ministers for military morale, finances, other church issues, lack of culture and submarines, etc. The government called on the connection to the Vatican and it was decided a government statement. The limits of the small world of colorful Republik Neustadt were marked with a white line on the road and at that time consisted of the square Bautzener Street, King Street Cheats, Bischofsweg and Prießnitzstraße (this is also the current territory). At the entrances were displayed signs reading: "Here, the free territory of the Republic of colorful Neustadt begins."

Since 2002, the district festival is organized without an overall organizer, the people and places involved notify individual events with a form in the city. the event has established itself as a multicultural and open street festival of the Dresden Neustadt. Despite numerous commercial organizer several private initiatives have been able to obtain without commercial interests, which is an essential feature of the BRN since time immemorial. In particular, the valley road is free of commercial offerings and offers traditional activities for young and old.
The area of ​​the BRN is locked during the feast for moving and stationary traffic but will almost always take a move from quirky and self-built vehicles accompanied by music and dance.“
Partial transcripition from the BRN´s website at: http://www.brn-dresden.de/geschichte.html.

Each year the festival draws thousands of people to its streets.
BRN is a celebration of the “Do it yourself” alternative spirit with its main slogan “Eine Andere Welt Ist Möglich” (another world is possible). During the morning people bring their couches and tables outside and have their morning breakfast with their neighbours and children play on the streets on their home made inventions.

There seems to be a constant struggle against the imposing commerciality that takes over most summer fests. The challenge continues to remain on welcoming an ever growing crowd of thousands while maintaining its essence. Thus the slogan: “Less beer cars more street couches”.

Author´s Facebook: facebook.com/motionlandscapes
Author´s Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCigy60nghBHJQOnnZ6snnRg

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

DRESDEN ALTSTADT: City Of History



DRESDEN ALTSTADT 
Dresden is the capital of Saxony and royal residence of its Electors and Kings.
When Frederick August II "The Strong”, converted to Catholicism to become King of Poland, he established Dresden as a capital of the arts and built palaces in Dresden and Warsaw.
Altstadt (old city) is famous for its Baroque and Rococo architecture dating the 18th and 19th centuries. In The Second World War Dresden shared the fate of other historical cities like Warsow and Rotterdam and was destroyed extensively during the polemic allied bombing of February 13th in 1945. The Soviet occupation rebuilds part of the city with soviet style buildings. From the last two decades the city has been reconstructed, regaining the glory of former times.
Semperoper Opera House originally built by the architect Gottfried Semper in 1841. After a devastating fire in 1869, the opera house was rebuilt, partly again by Semper, and completed in 1878. The opera house has a long history of premieres, including major works by Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss. The building, an example o Baroque architecture was destroyed in the 1945 Dresden bombing and was reconstructed exactly 40 years later, on February 13, 1985.
Frauenkirche is Dresden´s main symbol. It is a Lutheran church originally erect in 1743 designed by Georg Bähr (1666-1738) one of the masters of Baroque. It had a majestic pipe organ built by Gottfried Silbermann (1683-1753) in which Johann SebastianBach (1685-1750) played a recital. One of its main features is the distinctive bell shaped dome weighting 12.000 tons, an engineering achievement at the time. Frauenkirche resisted a vast shell bombardment of the prussian army during the seven years war (1756–1763) but collapse almost in its entirely in 1945, two days after 1945 the bombing, due to firebombs. The reconstruction work finally took place from 1993 to 2005.
Zwinger is a 19th century palace built in Rococo style designed by court architect Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann where former part of the Dresden fortress was located. Sculpture was provided by Balthasar Permoser. The Zwinger was formally inaugurated in 1719 on the occasion of the electoral prince Frederick August’s marriage to the daughter of the Habsburg emperor, the Archduchess Maria Josepha. 
Katholiche Hofkirche is a roman catholic church designed by architect Gaetano Chiaveri from 1738 to 1751, commissioned by Frederick Augustus II, in order to counterbalance the Protestant Frauenkirche. It its crypt rests the heart of King August the Strong. It suffered great damage in the 1945 bombing but was restored in the 1980´s.
Fürstenzug (the procession of princes) is one the largest tile mural painted between 1871 and 1876 to celebrate the 800th anniversary of the Wettin Dynasty. Replaced with 23.000 tiles of Missen Porcelain tiles between 1904 and 1907, it is known as the largest porcelain artwork in the world. The mural displays the ancestral portraits of the 35 margraves, electors, dukes and kings of the House of Wettin between 1127 and 1904. The Fürstenzug is 101.9 metres (334 ft) long and 10.5 metres (34 ft) high.
Schloßplatz (palace square) dates from the 15th century. The seated sculpture of Frederick Augustus I "The Righteous" by Ernst Rietschel now stand on the site of the old Albert statue. This monument had been located at the Dresden Zwinger since 1843, and later was moved to the Japanisches Palais. It rests in its final place since 2008.
Brühlsche Terrace nicknamed "The Balcony of Europe" facing the Elbe. The name Brühl's Terrace is a reference to Count Heinrich von Brühl, Minister of Elector Frederick Augustus II, who from 1737 had a city palace with a gallery, a library and adjacent gardens built on the location. In 1747 the whole terrace was given to him by the Saxon elector as a gift for the innovative introduction of a betterment tax. It is one of the city´s main views.
Author´s website: motionlandscapes.wix.com/motionlandscapes
Author´s Facebook: facebook.com/motionlandscapes
Author´s Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCigy60nghBHJQOnnZ6snnRg

Next Stop: Dresden Neustadt




History of The Neustadt

Neustadt is a district of Dresden located opposite to the old city center "Altstadt" and across the Elbe river. The district Itself is divided by "Innere" and "Außere" inner/outer Neustadt due to its location relative to the former city walls. Neustadt is characterized for its irreverent and alternative feel, young demography and thriving nightlife, not to mention the BRN festival where thousands attend every year.
The inner part was named from "Neuen Königlichen Stadt" ('New Royal City'). After the fire of 1732 the neighborhood was rebuilt in barroque style. Baroque town houses can still be found mainly on Königstraße.
The outer part, where most of the video was shot, hosted old trades like the early alum boilery. This is where the Alaunpark, the districts park, got its name. It was also home of the worlds first milk chocolate factory in 1839. This area was not greatly affect in the 1945 Dresden bombing so Its streets still preserve the original alignment from 1745 and its characteristic late nineteenth century buildings.
In the early 1990´s by the time of the "Wende" and consequent unification of Germany, a new generation of residents took over. At the time the objective was to make a alternative micronation the "Bunte Republik Neustadt" (Colorful Republic of Neustadt) with its own government and its own currency: the Neustadtmark. The BRN flag was in all similar to the german flag only substituting the center german eagle for the head of mickey mouse. The celebration of the founding of the Bunte Republik is the annual BRN festival well known today.
This video dedicated to the residents of Dresden Neustadt.
Author´s Facebook: facebook.com/motionlandscapes
Author´s Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCigy60nghBHJQOnnZ6snnRg